wish i had a troubadour a-sittin’ by my knee,
playing stately rhythms of the ancient balladry.
if i had a troubadour, i’d signal with my hand
and he would sing for you.
he would sing for you until you’d smile.
wish i had a wind i’d bring it by.
a gentle western wind to dry your eye.
a southern wind to keep you from your cryin’,
i’m still tryin’.
wish i had a castle clown with bells upon his hat,
doin’ tricks and somersaults, you’d have to laugh at
if i had a castle clown, i’d call him to your side,
and he’d do tricks for you.
he’d do tricks for you until you’d smile.
wish i had a royal ballet, to summon at my will.
dancin’ by the candlelight, some lovely old quadrille.
if i had a royal ballet i’d signal with a nod,
and they would dance for you,
they would dance for you until you’d smile.
[repeat verse 1]
- foolish games lyrics – melissa etheridge / melissa etheridge lyrics
- jezebel lyrics – anna calvi / anna calvi lyrics
- small deaths lyrics – dodos / dodos lyrics
- before the eyes of storytelling girls lyrics – anais mitchell / anais mitchell lyrics
- tallahassee lyrics – mountain goats / mountain goats lyrics