mother, mother ocean,
i have heard you call,
wanted to sail upon your waters
since i was three feet tall. you’ve seen it all,
you’ve seen it all.
watched the men who rode you,
switch from sails to steam.
and in your belly you hold the treasure
that few have ever seen, most of them dreams,
most of them dreams.
yes, i am a pirate
two hundred years too late.
the cannons don’t thunder there’s nothin’ to plunder
i’m an over forty victim of fate; arriving too late
arriving too late.
i’ve done a bit of smugglin’
i’ve run my share of gr*ss.
i made enough money to buy miami,
but i p*ssed it away so fast, never meant to last,
never meant to last.
i have been drunk now for over two weeks,
i p*ssed out and i rallied and i sprung a few leaks,
but i’ve got to stop wishin’, got to go fishin’
i’m down to rock bottom again. just a few friends,
just a few friends.
i go for younger women,
lived with several awhile,
and though i ran away, they’ll come back one day.
and still i can manage a smile
it just takes awhile, just takes awhile.
mother mother ocean,
after all these years i’ve found
my occupational hazard being
my occupation’s just not around
i feel like i’ve drowned, gonna head uptown.
from: the songs of jimmy buffett, 1978
- the big it lyrics – m.o.d / m o d lyrics
- house arrest lyrics – jimmy eat world / jimmy eat world lyrics
- in the same room lyrics – jimmy eat world / jimmy eat world lyrics
- if you don’t, don’t lyrics – jimmy eat world / jimmy eat world lyrics
- indecent exposure lyrics – jimmy eat world / jimmy eat world lyrics